Saturday, February 19, 2011

caffeine and cravings!!!

As i may have hinted numerous times in my previous posts, i am dealing with a very stimulating addiction to coffee!!!........but many of the people in my life don't seem to approve of our very *precious* relationship??!........

A few cases in point:

my moma – you are ruining your teeth!! You are surviving only on it!!.....your teeth look horrible!!..........don't drink too much of it!! Not good for you..........why don't you eat instead?! (this very person downs large glassfuls of it every time she has a "headache"........and she has been suffering from migraine attacks since from before i was born and they happen every week, mostly on Mondays!!? Go figure........)

my dude – we are running out of milk in the house because of the numerous times you are drinking coffee! Why don't you just eat instead??! Is this the reason why you aren't eating?! (this from the person who is known among my whole family to make the most DELICIOUS coffee ever!!.....hands down, no questions asked!!?)

my supposed *bestestest* friend – this the reason you stay awake the whole night and sleep the whole day!! Don't drink coffee in the night before you sleep or in the morning?!! (When then?? Leave aside the fact that he taught me a new way of preparing coffee, that as he puts it "releases all the flavours"!!)

my dear friend who hates coffee – i hate coffee, i don't understand how you can have it so many times!! You know who drinks coffee so many times?! Jobless people who have nothing better to do!! Why do you have it so many times??! that is because you have nothing better to do!!(he may have hit the nail in the head!!!)

my bff – when did u get this addicted to coffee??! But why??! Why don't we just go to a coffee shop?! I can understand having it in the morning but why in the evenings or the nights or any other time??! (i can say with great pride that she is slowly become like me.........muahahaha......i am dragging her down with me!! Every time i spend a night at her place, i induct her into the hall of caffeinaholics a little more!! Hehehe.......)

my soulmate – she is the only one who, i can honestly say, is addicted to this wonderful drug like me!! After all, she is my "soulmate"!!! (we have had some of our conversations over steaming, hot cups(remember the huge cups from F*R*I*E*N*D*S).....oh yeah...that big.......granted we were in different cities and it happened over the phone!! oh look,
even she wrote about it!! )

My introduction to coffee began very early in life, when i was 5 or 6 years old!! i know very young right??! Well, my moma didn't have any choice. I used to puke my guts out at the very sight and especially, smell of milk.......after repeated futile attempts to force-feed me milk in the morning which resulted in me puking all over her, she gave in and began making me drink coffee!!.......ahhhh......those days when my moma would cradle me and feed me hot, piping cup of coffee every morning(as i refused to eat anything at all) before i had to go to school while showing me that my auto is waiting for me......and everyone in the auto screaming that they were getting late because of my very early rising from bed were the most fun days ever!!......

After this very enthusiastic and promising induction to the coffee paradise, my craving to it took a serious back seat for quite some time........it could be the move to another city and then a move back to my hometown ......all that bullshit distracted me from my true love.......*sigh*

It started slowly again when i was 15.......slowly, seductively........with once in 3 days.........after having tiffins for dinner.........because lets face it, every South-Indian breakfast/snack/meal is incomplete without a freshly brewed steel glass full of filter-coffee!!.........aaahhhhh, heaven!!..........and since my moma and dude had so much time, we constantly had filter-coffee........which always brought back memories of filter-coffee and breakfast made by my grandma who sat surrounded by all her grandchildren handing us the glasses listening to our moans about why some got more and others got less!!.........this period of my coffee love were driven by the nostalgia........often just breathing the vapours with closed eyes......reminded me of the times with my grandparents!!

This slowly progressed to me making myself instant coffee(NESCAFE!!) after a long day.......to calm down my sprinting mind........most people drink it to stay awake.......i drink it to soothe myself.......wish i knew the logistics behind the reverse effect!! Then came the "coffee shops".........REVOLUTION........truly and completely.......disguised as a place to sit and spend hours with friends.......but turning coffee-haters into coffee lovers.........with very expensive drinks that they call "coffee" but in fact is 1% coffee powder and rest covered up with milk, chocolate, cream, foam, ice cream and various other unnecessary ingredients!!..........NOT GOOD COFFEE.......anyway, people either found their calling after this experience or didn't!!.......oh ignorant souls.........buy coffee powder and actually smell it to know what coffee is actually is about!!

More often than not my coffee intake depends on my mood that particular day.......not that it affects the amount of caffeine i crave!! Its not just consuming it........it is all about letting it engulf you.......tasting it........letting your tongue discover the many flavour it can offer........that is left to us to unlock...........it tantalizes us........it plays hide and seek with us.......but every sip should be preceded by a sniff..........a deep breath of the earthy, intoxicating whiff........that fills you up.....that takes the whole drinking part of it to another level.........and yes, oh god yes, it's very orgasmic!!.........and every time i have it, its like i am making sweet love to it............and it in turn returns the favour a thousand fold!!..........it is an event each time.........an occasion to look forward too!!......no wonder i am addicted to it!!! its a LOVE AFFAIR!!......

And yes, i started this post having a coffee.................and writing it........remembering everything about it has made me want it badly again......................so, i am off to enjoy my morning glass of coffee.........leaving you to discover the pleasures of this wonderful legal drug!!!

4 comments:

  1. HOLY FUCK! I ABSOFUCKINLUTELY LOVE THIS POST. SO awesomely written. Its coffeerotica. And ohmigodddddddddd...my addiction began in Kovur too, with Ammamma's special fresh-from-the-cow milk, sweet decoction coffee in steel "lotas" both before and after breakfast! Remember, we used to pick our glasses and even fight to get the one without dents...ohmigoddddddddddd...this took me all the way back to when there was no incest. Shit, that was AGES ago. AWESOME TIMES! LOVE YOU, MUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

    PS: Your dad really does make the bestest coffee ever. I think I learnt from him, really. Well, my mom learnt cooking from him, so indirectly I learnt everything from him anywayz...hehe :D
    PPS: I still HATE these "coffee" shops. They suck EVERY balls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw, who's who in the cast here? Is your "supposed bestest friend" a euphemism for something? And what the fuck is the distinction between a dear friend and a bff? :P:P:P I'm glad I get an easily distinguishable title...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D :D :))) thank you soooo much!!.......i was loving it sooo much while writing it and i kep thinking about you!!! ;)) really we fought over dentless glasses?!? dont remember??! but the filter-coffee macha........THE BEST!!.....no wonder we are coffee aficionados......lol!!....will never forget her dosas and coffee.....the BEST combo ever!!
    atleast someone is carrying on dad's legacy.....i am definitely not!! :P he really is an awesome cook na?!.....jeez.....delicious stuff pours out even when he is experimenting!!
    COFFEE SHOPS DOWN DOWN!!......they should start serving filter-coffees!! 8)
    hehehe......get ready to meet the cast!! the self-proclaimed bestestest friend of mine "rohit".......my bff.....jo.....and my dear friend......emphasis on the dear because he hates coffee....chetan!!....seriously, you have the best and most distinguishable title ever!!
    LOVE YAAAAAA................MUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete